June was a slower reading month for me, but I did go through about 7.5 books.
I went through a couple genre phases that really didn’t play out brilliantly. For a while I was really into urban fantasy and wanted to find a series similar to Jeaniene Frost’s Nighthuntress series (check it out the first book, Halfway to the Grave) and a few weeks later I was looking for a historical romance similar to Lisa Tawn Bergen’s River of Time series (you can see more info on the first book, Waterfall, here).
Anyways, let’s get started!
What I’ve Read
So, if you can tell from the covers above, to placate my urban fantasy whim I found out on Goodreads that J. R. Ward wrote a really popular UF series called Black Dagger Brotherhood. You can check out the first book, Dark Lover here. Anyways, the series looks super successful and has over 7 books thus far so you know that you’re in for a treat. If you’ve never read urban fantasy before, know that you are likely walking into a intense sexual scenes and really tacky romances. This series was no exception to this rule. Ever.
After the first book, I was like “Yeah, that was good” and then by the third book I was like “Yeaaaah…. Eh?” and then by the 4th-5th book I was like “Yeah…. no…..” and by the 6th-7th book I was utterly sick and tired of how fucking tacky this series was. Like excuse my French but HOW is this series so popular?!?!?! It literally made me want to flip over my table and set my food on fire. And it wasn’t just how whiny Ward made the characters that irked me, it was her ridiculous spelling antics too. The main characters names were like Rhage, Phury, Zsadist, Wrath, Vishous, and it’s just like what?! And key terminology for the series was also spelt weird and it just got so frustrating. These MC’s are supposed to be great vampire warrior knight people and they just don’t fit the bill.. at all. *angry sigh*
Can you tell why I didn’t write a review yet? LOL.
So two more books I read,
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I’ve been hearing about this book now for months and I thought I would finally take the plunge. I’ve read about 1/4 of the book and I just don’t really know if I like it enough to continue? The book has some parts in second person and it’s not a reading style I’ve ever read in a published book. It also keeps alternating between characters/settings and it just comes off as really messy and odd. Like I said, I’m just not sure if I like it so it was put on a back burner.
- Intertwine by Nichole Van. I found this book on Goodreads after trying to find another historical romance/time travel thing. I ended up giving this book a 3/5 stars because it was an easy read. The series does continue but I don’t think I’ll be reading more.
What I’m Currently Reading
- The Mark of Cain by Lindsay Barraclough (4.07 on Goodreads). I’m about 40 pages in and I’m interested to actually get into the plot. There was this 30 page long prologue that was rather excessive.. but I’m sure it provided some sort of context for later on.
Damaris lowers her voice still more. I hold my breath to catch the words: “You know, there is something about the girl, Zillah. The spirits come to her.” Damaris pauses. “I—I have heard the child whispering in the voice of another.”
In 1567, baby Aphra is found among the reeds and rushes by two outcast witches. Even as an infant, her gifts in the dark craft are plain. But when her guardians succumb to an angry mob, Aphra is left to fend for herself. She is shunned and feared by everyone she encounters, except one man: the leper Long Lankin. Hounded and ostracized, the two find solace only in each other, but even this respite is doomed, and Aphra’s bitterness poisons her entire being. Afflicted with leprosy, about to be burned as a witch, she manages one final enchantment—a curse on her tormentor’s heirs.
Now, in 1962, Cora and Mimi, the last of a cursed line, are trapped in an ancient home on a crumbling estate in deepest winter, menaced by a spirit bent on revenge.
- Paganism: An introduction to earth-centered religions by Joyce and River Higginbotham. A couple of my friends from college were pagans and I finally decided to look it up and see what it was all about. This book was highly recommended on Amazon so I’ve been reading through it. I’m not a religious person at all, but so far I really like how earth-centered “paganism” really is. I do have a Bachelor’s of Science degree so I’ve always been pretty skeptical of any religion that doesn’t provide me solid evidence. If you want me to make a blog post / review on this book I totally will, just let me know. I must say that I feel like SJM drew from this religion in ACOTAR/ACOMAF and I’m kind of tempted to go back and see if I’m right.
This book presents the basic fundamentals of Paganism. It explores what Pagans are like; how the Pagan sacred year is arranged; what Pagans do in ritual; what magick is; and what Pagans believe about God, worship, human nature, and ethics. For those who are exploring their own spirituality, or who want a good book to give to non-Pagan family and friends A hands-on learning tool with magickal workings, meditations, discussion questions, and journal exercises Offers in-depth discussion of ethics and magic.
- The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye. I haven’t started reading this book yet but it has a 3.80 rating on Goodreads.
Vika Andreyeva can summon the snow and turn ash into gold. Nikolai Karimov can see through walls and conjure bridges out of thin air. They are enchanters—the only two in Russia—and with the Ottoman Empire and the Kazakhs threatening, the Tsar needs a powerful enchanter by his side.
And so he initiates the Crown’s Game, an ancient duel of magical skill—the greatest test an enchanter will ever know. The victor becomes the Imperial Enchanter and the Tsar’s most respected adviser. The defeated is sentenced to death.
Raised on tiny Ovchinin Island her whole life, Vika is eager for the chance to show off her talent in the grand capital of Saint Petersburg. But can she kill another enchanter—even when his magic calls to her like nothing else ever has?
For Nikolai, an orphan, the Crown’s Game is the chance of a lifetime. But his deadly opponent is a force to be reckoned with—beautiful, whip smart, imaginative—and he can’t stop thinking about her.
And when Pasha, Nikolai’s best friend and heir to the throne, also starts to fall for the mysterious enchantress, Nikolai must defeat the girl they both love… or be killed himself.
As long-buried secrets emerge, threatening the future of the empire, it becomes dangerously clear… the Crown’s Game is not one to lose.
I don’t really have anything much to report. I’ve been doing a lot of work on our Etsy, our website, Amazon, etc. My foster dog from February was finally adopted in late May and like a week or two later I found fleas in my house. So…. fuck. It’s literally been the worst. Fleas are still not gone but I’ve finally gotten a handle on everything. Apparently because it’s been so dry the fleas are coming out from the forest (a few feet from our house) and have just royally screwed us. I have to clean our home every day and it takes me like 2 hours to vacuum everything, I have to lift up all the furniture and vacuum every little crevice in existence.
I’m also at a point where I’m doing okay. Some of you oldies here know that I found out I was being cheated on in February and I am better but it still fucks with me. Him and I are still talking, he hasn’t seen her since the day after I found out (he was only hanging out with her, apparently. Yes, I know what you’re thinking), we are NOT dating. We will not be dating any time soon. Truthfully, I don’t know how someone can come back from that, the trust isn’t back yet and I deserve respect. So that’s what a lot of my time has been dedicated to… just working on myself. I got Invisalign, I’ve been doing some self tanning, and I’ve been going to the gym about 5 times a week. I’m doing me because I deserve it.
Anyways, that’s all for now! If any of you guys want to talk or get to know me better send me a comment or a message. I’m more than willing to talk to y’all on Facebook or some other means. I don’t have a twitter but I’ve thought about it.
Let me know your thoughts on my books! Any recommendations?