Hey everyone! A week or so ago I asked if you guys would like me to hop on the month-long book meme train (a lá Beauty and the Bookshelf‘s March version: Get Up Offa That Slump: A Blogging Extravaganza) and make my own version for April. I got some really positive feedback so I thought I’d do it! We all go through the dreaded slumps of blogging and I thought making some fun prompts would really help me (and hopefully you!) out.
Thus, here is the April theme: Slumps are for Chumps Book Blogging Adventure.
For the older audiences reading this: In the words of a good friend helping me with my title, “it sounds like my sex life”. So my title must be good.. right..?
GIMME THE DETAILS, WOMAN!
- Three days of the week will have prompts: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
- You do not have to do every single prompt (duh, you do you).
- You can jumble around the prompts if you like both prompts on a certain day – just replace it for one on another day… Or you could do two posts in one day. Your call :).
- You can use the headers I made! I always feel iffy using other peoples headers, but I made a fancy one and a simpler one just for this meme!
- The last few days of the month still don’t have prompts, but I will post them within a week. I just wanted to get this post up on time!
FRIDAY April 1:
- It’s April Fool’s Day! In honor of all pranksters out there, make a prank post! It could include a fake spoiler (*CRINGE*), a post about a book never coming out, a sequel cancellation, a book to movie adaption (that’s not actually happening)… This sounds so cruel now that I think about it… BUT THE LEGACY OF APRIL FOOLS MUST LIVE ON.
- It’s time to introduce yourself! I thought it would be fun to do “The Book Blogger Confessions“ tag originally created by Laura. You can find the tag details here.
MONDAY April 4: It’s time to spread some love and positivity in the blogosphere. Make a top ten list of who your favorite book bloggers/vloggers are. You can write a little something about why you appreciate them or just tag them in the post. It’s alllll about love, people!
WEDNESDAY April 6:
- How’s your dream bookshelf looking, sparse? How’s your TBR, overflowing? Today is National “Go for Broke” Day, and in honor of it I’m metaphorically giving you $100 to buy whatever bookish things you want. Your job? Let the blogging community know how you would spend that $100. Remember: ONLY BOOKISH ITEMS.
- If you could introduce a new bookie to your favorite genre, what books would you recommend? What books do you think are the best of the best, and what books would you not recommend?
FRIDAY April 8: Fun fact, I love animals. I love them so much that when I hear about animals/paranormal sidekicks taking part in a book – like Fleetfoot from Throne of Glass – I get SO EXCITED. Make a list (add some photos if you’re feeling extra creative!) of some animal/paranormal/demonic/whatever sidekicks that you love.
MONDAY APRIL 11:
- Go to “Reader” and find a tag you haven’t done – even if you haven’t been tagged in it.
- Do The Mythological Creature Tag: I’m feeling some love for Percy Jackson and mythology. I made the tag earlier this month so I could link it, but you can find it here!.
WEDNESDAY APRIL 13:
- One of my favorite days of the year is National Bookmobile Day. It’s purpose is to honor access to information and resources that bookmobiles provide. So what’s the prompt today? It’s a cruel one. You’re going to a deserted island for 6 months with NO TECHNOLOGY OR MAIL and you can only take 5 books with you. Yep, FIVE. Give us a list, tell us why. 😉
- If the above prompt is too much for your soul, you can always do the Desert Island Book Tag.
FRIDAY APRIL 15: Today is National Day of Silence. The Day of Silence is the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network’s (GLSEN) annual day of action to protest the bullying and harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students and their supporters. Students take a day-long vow of silence to symbolically represent the silencing of LGBT students and their supporters.” Make a list of your favorite LGBTQ books, characters, or couples! Let’s spread the love, folks.
MONDAY APRIL 18: Some of my favorite blog posts / fan arts consist of seeing what people think book characters look like.
- Choose a book and show us your interpretation of the characters. You can use photos of actors or fan art (just remember to credit the artist if possible!)
- Talk about a book -> TV/movie adaptation where you think they got the actor(s) wrong.
WEDNESDAY APRIL 20:
- You know what I appreciate? An author who writes a solid battle scene. Are you nodding along with me? Because when they’re done right it’s beautiful. Today’s prompt is for you to tell us your top five list of epic battle scenes in literature. It could be an all out war, a confrontation with the enemy, or even a badass fight scene (a lá Aelin from TOG).
- Today is National Look Alike Day, so it’s time to put the book world on blast (or defend it!). If you’re feeling extra fiery, extra sassy, extra frustrated because we have all seen this – let it out. You can talk about two books that are way too similar, overused book tropes, etc. Don’t totally shit on books/authors though, we do have a reputation to maintain! Phrases like “suspicious“, “oddly similar”, “what a coincidence”, “perhaps questionable” are all welcome.
FRIDAY APRIL 22: Today is Earth Day. This annual day is held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. The concept of Earth Day was established in 1969 at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco. I think we all forget once in awhile how lucky we are to have a place to live and a world to actually exist on. Since most of our books take place all throughout the world, let’s share the love and talk about it!
- Do the Around the World book tag here. If you feel daring add a little twist (see #2!)
- Find a picture of a map and generally pinpoint where certain book “worlds” are. Try to use at least 5 different series if you’re doing it by country, or 5+ if you’re doing it in the USA. Here are some examples:
- If you read fantasy, pinpoint places you think the worlds would be -> e.g Lord of the Rings would be in New Zealand.
- Stiefvaters Raven Boys series deals a lot with Ley lines, maybe mark different places you think they’d appear.
- If it’s a dystopia, show a general area of where it is.
MONDAY APRIL 25: Today is National Pigs in a Blanket Day. What’s that, you ask? In the U.S. a “pig in a blanket” is the name for hot dogs or sausages wrapped in biscuit dough or croissant dough and baked. This got me thinking of those cheesy sayings: “you’re the peanut to my butter”, “the mac to my cheese”, “the glaze on my donut”, etc. And then I started thinking of my love for solid couples/friends/parabatai/whatever in fiction. Make a list of your top OTP’s, couples, friends, etc. They do not have to be romantically involved. *Fan art of these OTP’s and their epic moments are always loved and appreciated*
WEDNESDAY APRIL 27:
FRIDAY APRIL 29: